Friday, September 21, 2018

Sam's Hot Takes #2 - Binary Models

      This is Samuel Watkins, providing you with yet another hot take. Today, I’m addressing the lectures we received on mass communication and the binary models. To be a little more specific… is information really ever restrained to one aspect of a binary model anymore?
      If I’m looking for information, not only can I turn to traditional news, but there’s also comedic shows that rely on journalism - like Last Week Tonight or Stephen Colbert. They clearly aren’t meant to be substituted for the real news, but they also clearly inform the viewer along with entertaining them. For another example, let’s say you browse the NPR website or mobile app. Clicking on most articles, you’re shown a screen like this:


      I’ve got the option to view this content in both a hot or cold format… both sides of the binary model, all easily accessible in one place, delivering me the same content. It’s the same story when I’m deciding between a news briefing or podcast, or an audiobook versus a regular one.
      Put simply, as the future becomes the present - the world’s becoming a lot less binary.

No comments:

Post a Comment