Friday, November 2, 2018

Sam’s Hot Takes S2, #5 - WAVE Off Filler

This is Sam’s Hot Takes - bringing you our penultimate post of Season Two! It’s been a wonderful, albeit short journey. 
I find the dynamic of incorporating filler into local cable news quite interesting in general. Unlike a lot of my peers, I think that it definitely has its place. Often, there’s just a slow news day… and that doesn’t mean you can just end your broadcast there. So, you’ve gotta fill it up!
But WAVE’s approach to filling empty time seems to be a lot different than one might initially perceive. Instead of only including stories that aren’t relevant, they’ll often find some really heart-warming human interest story that’s local - or expand more in detail about a national story and give it some local perspective. In my opinion, it’s an extremely admirable approach, and it’s something I wouldn’t have thought out had I not done this project. Hopefully, quality local news coverage like this can help bring a new wave of reporters into the scene. But hey, that’s just my take.

No comments:

Post a Comment